The last time I made a sweater, it would fit a hunchback with no hips. That's just the opposite of me!!! So I unravelled it and whenever you see purple items, I've made them out of the unraveled sweater and leftover yarn.
A friend found a nice-looking crochet pattern in her Woman's Weekly magazine. When she was done with it, she gave the magazine to me. I had a quick look and decided to scale it up (I'm slightly larger than the pattern goes up to) by using DK instead of 4-ply and larger hooks. So far I'm doing well.
This is what it looks like in the magazine.
Here's what I've made so far in the colour of my choice:
I did a tension square with my chosen yarn and hooks and I'm aware that 10 cm is 17 stitches and 16 rows instead of 25 stitches and 20 rows. So from this information I can make decisions as the pattern progresses. I have been following the pattern exactly where the number of stitches/rows etc is used, but when an actual measurement is used I need to adjust this figure to adapt it to the larger scale of the project. Hopefully it won't warp it too badly and I'll just end up with a bigger sweater. :)
This isn't all of it, I must say, this is a small section of the front panel and it's not done yet. It's quite a wide project so I can get into the groove of a row and stop thinking and just stitch it before I turn it and do another one. It's a pattern of four rows which are in turn two pairs of two very similar rows. So I haven't had to look at the pattern for a while.
I'm enjoying it but I think I will be more than ready to stop when I finish it. If I do finish it I'll have to show you what it looks like on! If it fits...